100 Runner Cap on this race event.
|Dates:||Saturday, October 14, 2023|
|Location:||Sly Park Recreation Area – Event Center|
4771 Sly Park Rd.
Pollock Pines, CA
(Click here for Google Maps to the Event Center)
|Race Distances:||5K, 10K, 8 Mile, Half Marathon, 17 Mile, Trail Marathon, 50K|
|Start Time:||8:00 AM All Distances|
|Overall Cut-Off Times:||9 Hours|
About the Race
This event is held at the Sly Park Recreation Area in Pollock Pines, and it’s held under special use permit with the El Dorado National Forest. The course follows the trails surrounding Jenkinson Lake through endless pine trees and buttery horse trails. This race is held three times a year to offer runners the experience of running in this beautiful park through different seasons.
|Volunteers are needed to help with aid stations.|
Everyone who helps out gets a free future race!
|DISTANCE||BY 6/1/23||BY 9/1/23||BY 10/13/23||10/14/23 |
- Active Military & First Responders receive a 15% discount. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to process your military registration discount.
- Entry fees are non-refundable, but the full registration amount (minus processing fees) may be transferred to another future TCTRuns by contacting email@example.com at least 24 hours before the scheduled event.
- Runners may purchase a Troy’s California Trail Runs sport-tek technical fabric shirt during the registration process, or at the event supply permitting. All shirts are gender-specific and come in sizes ranging from ladies XS all the way to mens XXL and youth S to XL.
|Online registration is available through the evening before the race.|
|Race day registration is available beginning at 7:00 AM.|
- 6:30 AM — Event center opens
- 6:45 AM — Registration opens
- 7:45 AM — Trail briefing
- 8:00 AM — Start of all races
Most of the trails are single track with gently rolling hills, and other parts are flat and wide. Small portions of the course are on pavement. All of the races start with an easy quarter-mile downhill on a gravel road followed by a very steep quarter-mile climb on a single track trail. After the first half-mile, the trails are relatively flat as they follow near the shore of Jenkinson Lake in a counterclockwise direction. There are some technical sections with plenty of rocks and roots.
Additional Course Map detail and information is available via the Distance Link.
The 5K (538Ft. Ascent) – 9:00am overall cutoff, 1 Hour Time Limit
A simple out and back course that runs alongside all of the other distances for the first 2.5 kilometers (marked with yellow ribbons).
The 10K (866Ft. Ascent) – 9:30am overall cutoff, 1 Hour & 30 Minutes Time Limit
The 10K is an out-and-back course that follows the same hiking trail as every longer race and turns around right before the Park Creek bridge at the northeast edge of the lake (marked with pink ribbons).
The 8 Miler (984Ft. Ascent) – 10:30am overall cutoff, 2 Hours & 30 Minutes Time Limit
The 8 miler course makes one complete loop around the lake on the hiking trail (marked with pink ribbons).
The Half Marathon (1,739Ft. Ascent) – 12:00pm overall cutoff, 4 Hours Time Limit
The Half Marathon follows the same course as the 8 milers and runs an additional 5.1-mile out and back path.
The 17 Miler (2,539Ft. Ascent) – 12:45pm overall cutoff, 4 Hours & 45 Minutes Time Limit
The 17 miler makes two complete counterclockwise loops around the lake. The first loop follows the 8-mile course on the hiking trail, and the second loop follows the 9-mile horse trail, which sometimes joins the hiking trail for short distances (the first loop marked with pink ribbons, second loop marked with orange ribbons, additionally the second loop is marked by EID Park Staff blue plastic diamonds on trees).
The Trail Marathon (4,032Ft. Ascent) – 3:30pm overall cutoff, 7 Hours & 30 Minutes Time Limit
The Trail Marathon makes two complete counterclockwise loops around the lake, followed by one clockwise loop. The first loop follows the 8-mile course on the hiking trail, and the second loop follows the 9-mile horse trail. The last loop follows the horse trail backward (the first loop marked with pink ribbons, second and third loops marked with orange ribbons, additionally the second and third loop is marked by EID Park Staff blue plastic diamonds on trees).
The 50K Ultra (5,000Ft. Ascent) – 5:00pm overall cutoff, 9 Hours Time Limit
The 50K Ultra follows the same course as the 17-mile race, which has a cutoff time of 12:45 PM. After 17 miles, runners turn around and follow the 9-mile horse trail loop clockwise around the lake. The cutoff time for 26 miles is 3:30 PM. A final 5.1-miles, it out & back and completes the full distance (the first loop marked with pink ribbons, second and third loops marked with orange ribbons, additionally the second and third loop is marked by EID Park Staff blue plastic diamonds on trees).
There are two aid stations located on opposite ends of the lake, which all distances over the 10K will hit at least once, if not several times. One is at the start/finish area, and the other is at the Hazel Creek area. The 5K and 10K races do not reach the Hazel Creek area, so there is no aid station on the course for those distances.
Drop bag pick-up at the Start and drop-off to the aid stations is available.
Aid Station Locations:
- Event Center (Start/Finish) Aid Station
- Hazel Creek Aid Station (Approximately at Mile 4 (9:00am cutoff), Mile 12 (11:15am cutoff), and Mile 22 (2:15pm cutoff – Aid Station Closes))
17 Mile, Marathon, and 50k Runners will have access to the Water Stop in the Miwok area ORANGE RIBBONS. Runners for loops 2 & 3 on the upper horse trail on the Northwest side of the lake.
On the way to the race location:
– Safeway (6498 Pony Express Trail, Pollock Pines, CA 95726) – Bathrooms near Starbucks & Deli.
Two Campground Restrooms (When driving into the Event Center):
– Just before driving into the main Event Center parking lot 2 campground restrooms are located on the left 200 yards down the paved road. Runners please feel free to use these 2 campground restrooms.
Restrooms Available in the Event Center Area:
– One Inside Event Center
– One Outside near the Event Center
Additional Restrooms located along Course:
– Bathrooms are located just before the first Aid Station in the back of the lake.
– Runners will encounter many bathrooms on the Northwest side of the lake.
– There are also available water fountains throughout the campgrounds.
Directions and Parking
From Highway 50, take the Sly Park Rd exit (Exit 60). Go south on Sly Park Rd for about five miles, and turn left on Mormon Emigrant Trail. After passing over a small dam and spillway, there will be two driveways on the left side of the road. Turn into the second driveway leading to the event center and park in the gravel lot. A sign will be posted. Parking fee is free at the Event Center, but it limited at this location.
Race registration and check-in is located inside the event center. The start/finish area is located across Mormon Emigrant Trail from the event center and down a gravel road a little bit. Bathrooms are available at the event center and along the course in the campground areas.
(Click here for Google Maps to the Event Center)
Please CARPOOL. Parking is limited at the Event Center.
- Event Center – Free Limited Parking (Park close in this area to allow for multiple vehicles.)
- Equestrian Staging Day Use Parking Lot – $5 Parking (0.6 Miles to Event Center)
- Some Free Parking on the side of the road near the Equestrian Staging Day Use Parking Lot that is about 0.6 Miles from the Event Center
- Fleming Trail System & Trailhead Day Use Parking Area – $5 Parking (1.5 Miles to Event Center)
- Sly Park Recreation/Campground/Boat Launching Facility Main Day Use Parking Area – $15 (Approx. 1.3 Miles-1.7 Miles to Event Center)
ATTENTION, if parking at Event Center, a LARGE EMERGENCY VEHICLE will need access to drive throughout the entire EVENT CENTER AREA. We Must Always leave them plenty of ACCESS to drive through & Turn Around wherever needed.
All runners receive a medal for finishing the race.
Travel and Accommodations
Troy’s California Trail Runs is partnered with iWeekender to provide comprehensive travel packages that include accommodations, air travel, and rental cars.
5658 Pony Express Trail
Pollock Pines, CA 95726
Results are posted here after the race.