Results are in. Congrats, finishers and winners!
|Date:||August 10-11, 2019|
|Race Distances:||100K, 50M, 50K, 18M|
|Start Time:||6:00 AM 100K, 50M, 50K|
8:00 AM 18M
About the Race
This August Sierra / Northern California Ultra is primarily singletrack. You will love these courses running in the beautiful Sierras — great country, awesome views, lakes, creeks, rivers, great air quality, and high elevation. The courses are very challenging and appealing with lots of exposure but with some shaded sections.
The 100K, 50M, and 50K courses parallel the South Fork of the American River in a section of the course before and after the second Aid Station.
18 Miler – $75
50K – $150
50 Miler – $175
100K – $225
|Online registration: Open now on UltraSignup.|
Register by US Mail: Print a form and mail to us.
Active military receive a 15% discount. Entry fees are non-refundable unless the event is cancelled.
|Volunteers are needed to help with aid stations.|
Everyone who helps out gets a free future race!
Plus: Groups, take over an aid station! Contact email@example.com.
- 4:45 AM — Runner Check & Bib Pickup in Inside Strawberry Lodge.
- 5:40 AM — Trail Briefing for 100K, 50M, and 50K distances.
- 5:50 AM — Go out to East end of Strawberry Lodge for Start.
- 6:00 AM — Start Time for 100K, 50M, and 50K distances.
- 7:40 AM — Trail Briefing for 18M.
- 7:50 AM — Go out to East end of Strawberry Lodge for Start.
- 8:00 AM — Start Time for 18M
- 18 Miler: 6 hours (8:00 am to 2:00 pm – Strawberry Lodge Finish)
- 50K: 9 hours. (6:00 am to 3:00 pm – Strawberry Lodge Finish)
- 50 Miler: 15.5 hours (6:00 am to 9:30 pm – Strawberry Lodge Finish)
- 100K: 18 hours (6:00 am to 12:00 am – Strawberry Lodge Finish)
Overall time limit is 18 hours/12am Sunday 8/11. See aid station cut-off times below.
Directions / Weather
The Start/Finish is at Strawberry Lodge. Please be very considerate to the Strawberry neighborhood and run with CAUTION on the road.
General Markings Info
- All Ribbons are TIED TO CLOTHES PINS attached to tress and bushes. Other ribbons are forest service ribbons. Pay close attention to the attachment on the ribbon to confirm it is a TCT Runs ribbon.
- Signs – 8×11 Signs Maybe Posted along the Course.
- Runners Please Pay Attention To Signs and STOP and Look when needed to Fully Understand.
Gypsum (chalk) Arrows will mark the Course.
NO marking Means DO NOT ENTER.
This Race Markings
- SIGNS saying 50k or ALL Refer to All Distances 100k, 50Mi, 50k
- Red Ribbons will Mark the first and last mile of the course.
- Red Ribbons will mark Starting at the Strawberry Lodge to 11N19 dirt road.
- Approximately at Mile ONE All Runners will reach a T a INTERSECTION.
- Runners Pay attention at this intersection all Runners will encounter this intersection again running back to the Finish.
There are THREE STAGES to this event for 50k, 50M, 100K runners
FIRST STAGE – Pertains to 50k, 50M, 100K runners
Stage 1 Markings:
- All runners will Follow 50k SIGNS.
- 50k Course 31 Miles This Section Primarily PINK RIBBONS.
- First mile Red Ribbons.
- Pink Ribbons to Yellow.
- Red Ribbons last Mile.
Stage 1 Course Info:
- All Runners will follow RED RIBBONS first mile to T at Intersection.
- All Runners willl TURN RIGHT onto 11N19 Dirt Road now Following PINK RIBBONS.
- All Runners: At approximately mile 29 you will Start to Follow YELLOW RIBBONS to the T the Intersection and TURN RIGHT Now Following RED RIBBONS back to the Strawberry Lodge.
Stage 1 Aid Station Cutoff Times (all distances):
- 9 Hour Time Limit 3:00 pm Cutoff Time at the Strawberry Lodge.
- 3:00 pm Cutoff Time for the 100k and 50 mile Runners to be out of the Strawberry Lodge Aid Station.
Mile 3-5: Cody Meadows creeks
- Four creek crossings in this section going through Cody Meadows. Water and current levels low.
Mile 14: Caples Creek Crossing
- Attention Runners on the Caples Loop well after the Caples Creek Aid Station you will encounter Caples Creek around mile 15.
- You will get WET FEET and Wet Shoes if you choose to go through the creek.
- The water level might be no higher then your knees and with a slow flow.
- FYI Runners if you would like to avoid going through the WATER DOWN STREAM 200 yards is a tree that has fallen over the creek acting as a bridge. I have gone across the tree many times with No Problems but falling is a possibility.
- If you fall into the water it’s well over your head at this location.
- Runners you have this option to cross over then hike back up stream 200 yards to get back on the designated trail leading back to the Hay Flat Aid Station.
- Change of shoes available at Hay Flat/Negro Flat Aid Station. It is also suggested that you have a change of shoes available at Strawberry Lodge Aid Station.
Mile 26: Strawberry Creek Trail Creek Crossing
- Water and current levels low.
SECOND STAGE – Pertains only to the 50 Mile and 100k Runners.
Stage 2 Markings:
- Red Ribbons first mile.
- Yellow Ribbons to Pink Ribbons.
- Red Ribbons last Mile returning to the Strawberry Lodge.
Stage 2 Course Info:
- 50 Mile and 100k Runners will for the 2nd Time leave the Strawberry Lodge go back out now Running a 18 Mile Clockwise Loop returning to the Strawberry Lodge.
- Runners will now follow 50 MILE SIGNS.
- For the first Mile again runners will be following Red Ribbons.
- At the T the intersection 2nd Time OUT you will TURN LEFT Following YELLOW RIBBONS up 11N19 dirt road for a few miles leading you back up to the Strawberry Creek Single Track Trail.
- Runners will once again start to Follow PINK RIBBONS leading you to the Hay Flat Aid Station Then Back To the Strawberry Lodge.
- 50 MILERS will be returning to the Strawberry Lodge for the 2nd Time your’re DONE.
- Stage 2 – ATTENTION – STREAM CROSSING ALSO ON THIS PART OF COURSE.
5 Miles out: Strawberry Creek Trail Creek Crossing.
12M out: Cody Meadows creeks
Stage 2 Cutoff Times:
50 Milers 15.5 Hour Time Limit
6:00 am to 9:30 pm at the Strawberry Lodge for the FINISH.
THIRD STAGE – Pertains only to the 100k Runners.
Stage 3 Markings:
- Red Ribbons first mile.
- Orange Out and Back Section up to Sierra At Tahoe Road Aid Station.
- Red Ribbons last Mile returning to the Strawberry Lodge.
Stage 3 100k course info:
- 100k Runners will now follow 100k SIGNS.
- Runners will now leave the Strawberry Lodge for the 3rd Time running a Out and Back Section up and over Lovers Leap Mtn To The Aid Station located at Sierra At Tahoe Road.
- Leaving the Strawberry Lodge: RED RIBBONS Again for the first mile to T Intersection.
- At T Intersection TURN LEFT Now Following 100k SIGNS and ORANGE RIBBONS all the way to Sierra At Tahoe Road Aid Station Turnaround.
- At T Intersection you will Turn LEFT Following ORANGE RIBBONS and 100k SIGNS.
- After taking Left now Following Orange Ribbons 100k Signs onto 11N19 dirt road you will only be on the dirt road for 500 yards Very Briefly Quickly Turning LEFT up onto 17E12 Single Track Trail Up and over Lovers Leap Mtn To The Sierra At Tahoe Road Aid Station.
- Runners Will Now Return directly to the Strawberry Lodge for the FINISH.
- 100k runners you’re DONE.
Stage 3 Aid Station Cut off times:
- Cutoff Time to be out of the Strawberry Lodge: 9:00 pm (15:00 Hour Time Limit). Runners need to be out of the Strawberry Lodge Aid Station at this time.
- Sierra At Tahoe Road Aid Station cutoff time (TURNAROUND): 10:30 pm
- Total Cutoff Time: 18 Hours 12:00 am at the Strawberry Lodge for FINISH.
Environmental / Safety conditions
Temperatures (as predicted on 8/8/19)
Lows (Night/early morning): 44F
The highest elevation on the course is at the Echo Summit Aid Station turnaround. It can be very cold at night. Plan for it.
The Sun can also be a huge factor at the higher elevations. Thicker hats can protect your head. High SPF Sunscreen is advised.
Runners must be prepared for all types of weather (snow, thunder storms, showers, rain, lightning, wind, heat)
All runners must have at least two water bottles or one Camelback because aid stations are spread out.
Mosquitoes can also be a factor.
There is a stream crossing in Stage 1 of the race.
Lights Are Required For 100k and 50 Mile Runners:
All Runners Running In The dark are REQUIRED to have lights.
Suggested locations to pick up or have lights:
- Strawberry Lodge Aid Station Miles 31 and 50.
- Hay Flat Aid Station approximately mile 41.
- Sierra At Tahoe Road Aid Station Turnaround Mile 56.
All Runners: Please be aware that many types of wildlife live in the Sierras. Please keep your eyes open at all times and be aware of your surroundings.
All runners need to be aware of all types of wildlife, including:
- Bears – Bear mace is very good to have.
- Mountain lions
Maps / Statistics
Phase 1 (50K, 50M, 100k runners)
Phase 2 (50M, 100k runners) / 18M race
This is the 18M route as well as Phase 2 of 50M + 100K route
Phase 3 (100k runners only)
Total Distances / Elevation for each race (according to map source – actual may be different depending on GPS and mapping algorithm).
3,549 ft ascent/descent
6,013 ft ascent/descent
9,562 ft ascent/descent
12,147 ft ascent/descent
Printer Friendly maps
Update: Pacers are now allowed for the 50M distance as well as the 100k distance
Pacer Info for 100k and 50 Mile Runners:
Pacers can be picked up at only one location the Strawberry Lodge.
100k, 50 Mile Runners At Mile 31 at the Strawberry Lodge.
Start of 18 Mile Loop.
100k Runners At Mile 50 at the Strawberry Lodge.
Start of Out and Back Section up to Aid Station Turnaround at Sierra At Tahoe Road.
All Aid Stations will have drop bags:
1. Hay Flat Aid Station
2. Caples Creek Aid Station
3. Strawberry Lodge Aid Station
4. Sierra At Tahoe Road Aid Station
Crew / Aid Station Info
- Runner Crews please have a full tank of gas Race Morning.
- Gas & Food stores are hard to come by race day Plan Ahead.
- Please have a Full tank of gas supplies water drinks and food for all.
- If any runner DROPS out of the race You are REQUIRED to INFORM STAFF ASAP. See Race Director Contact Info Below.
- The first two Aid Stations that require lots of driving.
- At the start of the race you may follow me to the first 2 Aid Stations if you like.
- Strawberry Lodge
- Lovers Leap Campground 0.2 miles away from the Strawberry Lodge.
- Silverfork Campgrounds
- Caples Creek Aid Station
- Horse Tail Falls Parking Lot On Hwy 50. (just 0.3 miles East of the Strawberry Lodge On Hwy 50 on your Left. )
Aid Stations In Order (below info will follow this order with pertinent info to crews):
Stage 1 (50K, 50M, 100k runners) :
1. Hay Flat Aid Station: 7M
2. Caples Creek Aid Station: 11.8M
3. Hay Flat Aid Station: 18.5M
4. Water at the bottom of the Strawberry Creek Trail On 11N19 dirt road. 25M
5. Water Stop At 11N19 dirt road & 17E12 TH. 28.8M
6. Strawberry Lodge – Finish for the 50k. 29.975M
Stage 2 (50M, 100k runners) / 18M race: :
7. Water Stop At 11N19 dirt road & 17E12 TH. 1.1M
Water at the bottom of the Strawberry Creek Trail On 11N19 dirt road 4.9M
8. Hay Flat Aid Station. 10.8M
9. Strawberry Lodge Aid Station. 17.8M
10. Water Stop At 11N19 dirt road and 17E12 Single Track Trail leading up the backside of Lovers Leap. 1.1M
11. Sierra At Tahoe Road Aid Station Turnaround for the 100k Runners. 6.1M
12. Water Stop 11N19 dirt road and 17E12 TH Intersection. 11.1M
13. Strawberry Lodge FINISH for 100k Runners. 12.2M
1. Hay Flat Aid Station
100k and 50 Mile Runners will go to the Hay Flat Aid Station 3 Times.
50k Runners will go to the Hay Flat Aid Station 2 Times on the 50k Course.
- 8:30 am Cutoff Time first time Out Of Aid Station On your way to Caples Creek Aid Station.
- Crews Allowed, Drop Bags
- This is a very remote Aid Station.
- No bathrooms
- Cars with clearance REQUIRED.
- 4 Wheelers not necessary.
- I do get cell phone reception there.
Driving directions to the Hay Flat Aid Station from the Strawberry Lodge:
FYI Crews DRIVERS drive slow and safely on Packsaddle Pass Road. The road has some Potholes.
- Turn Left West onto Hwy 50.
- Drive 0.1 miles on Hwy 50.
- Turn Left at 42 mile tract.
- Cross over bridge turn Right onto Packsaddles Pass Road.
- Drive up for 25 minutes or so.
- At Top At T the Intersection Turn Left into Cody Meadows
- Proceed straight ahead onto dirt road drive slow following Blue Ribbons to Aid Station.
2. Caples Creek Trail Head Aid Station
Crews Allowed, Bathrooms.
9:30 am Cutoff Time Out Of Aid Station.
Directions to Caples Creek Aid Station from Hay Flat Aid Station:
- Follow Blue Ribbons Out To paved road.
- At Paved road proceed Straight Ahead Down To Silverfork Road.
- Turn Left onto Silverfork Road.
- Drive for approximately 15 minutes turn Left into the Caples Creek Trail Head Parking Lot campgrounds.
- Bathrooms available at Silverfork Campground on your Right just before the Caples Creek Aid Station.
- Bathroom available at Aid Station.
- No running water available at Aid Station.
3. Hay Flat Aid Station
2nd Time Out On your way to the Strawberry Lodge.
12:30 pm Cutoff Time
Reverse directions (From Caples Creek Aid Station if you were previously at Aid Station):
- Leaving Caples Creek Aid Station.
- Turn Right onto Silverfork Road.
- Drive for approximately 15 minutes on Silverfork Road.
- Turn Right up onto Packsaddle Pass Road.
- Drive up Packsaddle Pass Road for approximately 10 minutes to intersection.
- To Hay Flat Aid Station Drive Straight Ahead into Cody Meadows onto dirt road following Blue Ribbons to Aid Station.
- To Strawberry Lodge Turn Left going down to Hwy 50.
- At Hwy 50 Turn Right East drive for 0.1 miles the Strawberry Lodge will be on your Right.
Leaving Hay Flat Aid Station the 2nd Time going to the Strawberry Lodge:
- Follow Blue Ribbons Out To paved road.
- Turn Right onto Packsaddle Pass Road.
- Drive down to Hwy 50.
- Turn Right onto Hwy 50 East drive 0.1 miles the Strawberry Lodge will be on your Right.
4. Water at the bottom of the Strawberry Creek Trail On 11N19 dirt road.
5. Water Stop At 11N19 dirt road & 17E12 TH.
6. Strawberry Lodge Aid Station Mile 31 (End of First Stage)
- 3:00 pm Cutoff Time Out Of Aid Station.
- 3:00 pm 100k and 50 Miler Runners Out Of Aid Station.
- After your Runner has completed the first stage finishing the 50k.
- 100k and 50 Milers Heading Back To The Hay Flat Aid Station.
- 100k, 50 Milers Back Out for 18 Mile Clockwise Loop.
7. 100k,50mi Two Water Stops On 11N19 That We’re Previously used will be available again.
8. Hay Flat Aid Station.
- 6:30 pm Suggested Cutoff Time Out Of Aid Station Heading Back To the Strawberry Lodge.
- 6:45 pm Enforced Cutoff Time.
- Driving directions to the Hay Flat Aid Station to see your Runner there at approximately mile 41.
- Leaving the Strawberry Lodge after your Runner has completed the first stage finishing the 50k.
Please Refer to Directions Above
9. Strawberry Lodge Aid Station. (End of 3rd Stage)
- 50 Milers Done.
- Cutoff Time 9:00 pm for 100k Runners to be out of the Strawberry Lodge Aid Station On there way to the Sierra At Tahoe Road Aid Station Turnaround for the 100k Runners.
- 100k Runners Now Running a Out and Back To The Aid Station located at Sierra At Tahoe Road.
- 10:30 pm Cutoff Time for 100k Runners to be turned around returning back to the Strawberry Lodge.
10. Water Stop At 11N19 dirt road and 17E12 Single Track Trail leading up the backside of Lovers Leap.
11. Sierra At Tahoe Road Aid Station Turnaround for the 100k Runners.
Driving directions to Sierra At Tahoe Road Aid Station from the Strawberry Lodge.
- Turn Right East up onto Hwy 50.
- Drive approximately for 10 minutes.
- Turn Right onto Sierra At Tahoe Road Sierra At Tahoe Ski Resort.
- Drive on Sierra At Tahoe Road for approximately a couple of minutes.
- The Aid Station will be on your Right next to the road easily seen.
The 100k Turnaround Aid Station will be where the XP Trail the Historic Pony Express Trail crosses over Sierra At Tahoe Road.
Crews leaving the Sierra At Tahoe Road Aid Station Turnaround for the 100k Runners Returning to the Strawberry Lodge.
- Drive back down to Hwy 50.
- Turn Left West onto Hwy 50.
- Drive for approximately 10 minutes the Strawberry Lodge will be on your Left.
12. Water Stop 11N19 dirt road and 17E12 TH Intersection.
13. Strawberry Lodge FINISH for 100k Runners.
Directions, Parking, Transportation
The event starts and finishes at Strawberry Lodge.
Parking is available at the Strawberry Lodge. Do Not Park In Front of the Strawberry Lodge. Please park On Strawberry Ln on either side but always allow enough room for all traffic to get through—especially any emergency vehicles.
Race Day Parking in the Strawberry Lodge Area. If you have reserved lodging at the Strawberry Lodge obviously on Saturday and Sunday you can park in front of the Lodge.
The Strawberry neighborhood is safe. We will not have any overnight security so we are not responsible for your vehicle or belongings.
Noise Levels Around Strawberry Neighborhood
Runners / Crew / Spectators – if you would please let’s all be very quiet in the early morning at the Strawberry Lodge also running through the Strawberry neighborhood and after 10:00 pm at the Strawberry Lodge.
The night before the race we very much encourage anyone that would like to stay at the beautiful Strawberry Lodge to reserve rooms very early. The lodge has a limited capacity. The Strawberry Lodge, rooms, food and service is very impressive. You will enjoy your experience.
Camping is available at the Lovers Leap Campground. Also in the surrounding Strawberry Lodge Area are numerous areas to camp in the woods that should be OK. No permits required but you may want to call the US Forest Service in Camino, Calif. on Eight Mile Rd to confirm.
Other Suggested Lodging:
Sierra Inn in Kyburz
South Lake Tahoe
Lovers Leap Campground
Other camping is available all around the lodge in the surrounding woods.
Strawberry Lodge has showers available for $5 a person. Runners can get a shower before or after the run.
We will have food and refreshments after the event.
All runners receive a medal for finishing the race.
Contact / Cell Phone Info
Troy Limb Race Director – AT&T Phone Number, gets reception most of course
Results are posted here after the race.